Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Super Full Moon

Last Saturday night a full moon of rare size and beauty graced our skies for all to see.  Unfortunately with the recent time change you have to stay up a little later to see the best of it and to get great pictures of it.  Devin got to see some of its beauty but because it was still early (9ish), the moon was not high in the sky and too many trees were blocking his view.  I think he still liked being allowed to stay up a little late and sit outside with us.  Lexi, however, was fast asleep!  At first I was upset with the pictures I got because the trees were in the way of getting a clean shot of the moon.  But after going through the pictures I realized the trees made somewhat of a mirage.  Don't get me wrong...I wish I could have stayed up late to see the whole beauty of the Perigee Moon but mama was worn out!  So these are the shots that I had to live with!


According to NASA the Perigee Moon, aka the super full moon, is 14% larger and 30% brighter than a normal full moon because it's closer to the Earth.  It's pretty bright in this picture!



It looks like the moon is stuck in the branches!






I love in some of the last pictures it appears the branches are holding the moon up or they're catching the moon from falling.   I didn't get the pictures I had hoped for but it was a beautiful night and we got to witness the biggest and brightest full moon that earth has seen in the last 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment