Wednesday, July 28, 2010

No Power = FUN!

Wednesday late afternoon Devin, Lexi and I were pulling in the driveway and dark skies were quickly approaching. The wind was picking up and we could hear thunder in the distance. I had a bunch of groceries to unpack from the car before the rain moved in. I quickly got Lexi inside and continued to unpack the groceries from the van. Devin insisted on riding his little four wheeler around the yard while I was doing this. After dropping the bags off inside the front door I quickly tried to wrangle Devin in. The typical almost three year old in him started yelling 'NO' at me and was speeding away on his four wheeler. (This four wheeler MAYBE goes 2 miles an hour and I can walk faster than it which is why it's so funny he thinks he could ride away from me!) After pleading with him and trying to explain a thunder storm was coming I realized he could care less what I was saying. So I just scooped him up off of his four wheeler and carried a screaming and kicking toddler inside the house. Not a second after I closed the door lightening struck somewhere very close to our house and the thunder was so loud the windows shook. Devin had this 'what was that' face and I looked at him and told him that is why we had to come inside. He shook his head up and down and said yes, we have to go inside. A little late buddy; after embarrassing me in front of the neighbors now you agree to what I said. Nice! (Again, classic toddler behavior)

Well this storm was definitely the strongest and scariest storm we've had this summer. Lightening struck our yard, the neighbors yard; things were falling off the walls and windows the thunder was so strong. The dogs were FLIPPING out and shaking, panting, hiding, etc. The kids on the other hand were very calm. Then we lost power after a strong lightening strike. Like it normally does, I thought to myself, it'll come right back on. Nope; 2 plus hours with no power in a hot house with three terrified dogs and 2 toddlers. Now I was the one that was frightened! What was I going to do without power?

Answer: Fun activities and a terrible dinner!

The kids did some arts and craft activities by lantern until Lexi wouldn't stop eating the crayons! Then we moved to the playroom and for almost 2 hours the kids played with Lego's, Mr. Potato Head, cars, etc. They kept each other entertained for the whole time. I was shocked! I was even relaxing and reading a magazine by the light of the lantern while they were playing nicely. I also got a break from making dinner. We had breakfast bars, tostitos and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner. And they loved it! I learned something new yesterday; we can survive without Thomas the Train DVD's and Elmo's ABC DVD and my kids will survive without their vegetables for a night. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment