Sunday, January 9, 2011

Watchout Mary Lou Retton!!

This past Tuesday the kids started their first gymnastics class.  I'm not sure who was more excited; the kids or me!  Devin and Lexi aren't in preschool or a daycare environment so it's important we get them into group classes to interact with other kids their age, experience a structured routine and follow directions and listen to a teacher/instructor. I knew gymnastics would be fun for them both...I was right!  They loved it!  There are only two other kids in their class so they get a lot of attention from the teacher.  It's a seven week class and I hope each week goes as well as week one.  Devin cried on the way home in the car because he wanted to go back.  A week is an eternity to a three year old!

I took pictures from very, very far away.  It was really hard to capture good pictures being so far away and the lighting was awful.  Thanks to Photoshop Lightroom for helping me lighten them up a bit.  I have to admit that I was THAT mom!  I was the mom that the other moms look at funny and laugh at a bit and probably even said under their breaths; must be her first time here.  But that's okay, I don't need to make new friends...LOVE the ones I already have.  The two other moms in the waiting area were reading books and chatting on their cell phones.  They must be pros already because I never took my eyes off the kids.  I must have been the butt of their jokes all week with my big fancy camera and long lens moving from side to side to try to get a good picture.  I kept waving at the kids when they'd look at me or say something to me.  I really do think that I had as much fun as they did.

The first apparatus conquered was the balance beam.  Devin went first while Lexi anxiously waited for her turn.  It was hilarious to watch a two year old try to wait for a turn or even sit still.  She is the youngest in the class and the most active for sure!

Devin and his Michael Jordan tongue!

It was awesome to see the excitement on Lexi's face when the teacher put her up on the balance beam.



These next pictures are of Lexi waiting for her turn while Devin was with the teacher.  As you will notice, she doesn't look happy and eventually gets up and runs into the foam pit.  It was hilarious!

Her face is screaming....BORING!

There she is in the background, getting ready to jump into the pit!

Next up were the uneven bars.  I really could not see much at all.  But I did see Devin from the highest bar and that was pretty neat.  





Again, the next few pictures are of Lexi waiting for her turn.  All I could hear from the group from afar was Lexi yelling, "My turn!  My turn!".  Then I'd hear the teacher say, "Alexis, sit down, it's not your turn". I must have heard that twenty times.

Patiently waiting...sitting nicely.

Starting to get a little anxious and bored.

If I can't have my turn...then I'll just do a somersault right here!
Next up...Floor exercises.


           
  
To close the class, the teacher lets them run down the trampoline runway and jump into the pit.  Who got to go first???? Of course Lexi so the teacher wouldn't have to deal with holding her back. LOL  The kids had fun jumping into the pit.  They were all so cute.







Devin's turn...Because the lighting was so bad I didn't get a shot until he already jumped in.  And by jump in, I mean step in.  Anyone who knows Devin knows he's very careful.  He wanted to make sure it was safe first and then stepped in.  Unlike his sister who gladly dove in feet first!


The kids really enjoyed their first gymnastics class.  I really hope they have a future in it.  It's a great sport for both exercise and discipline.  It's also great all year long since it's inside.  We used Lexi's birthday money to pay for her enrollment.  So we want Aunt Joanie, Uncle Larry and Uncle Steve to know how appreciative we are of their gift to her. I think this was the perfect gift for Lexi and Mommy and Daddy since it wears her out!!  Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I'm glad you were "that" mom-I would be too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love for you to teach me how to use Lightroom!!!! It scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I'll have to get Adrey in gymnastics soon too! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete