Saturday, May 1, 2010

What a Zoo!

One benefit of being a Collier County resident is you are granted free admission on the first Saturday of every month to the Naples Zoo, a.k.a. Jungle Larry's Caribbean Gardens. I thought I was on top of it, planning this day of fun for FREE. I even called my friend Kelly to see if she and her son Brennan wanted to come with. I packed grapes, water, of course breakfast bars for Devin, etc. so I wouldn't have to spend any money at all. Devin woke up extra early, like before six, ready to go to the zoo. He was so excited he couldn't even sleep (Lesson learned, NEVER tell a two year old exciting trip plans the night before!). My friend Jen dropped of her daughter Lindsey at our house so she could come with us and help mommy and spend time with the kids.



We were so excited and couldn't wait to get there only to pull up to the zoo and there wasn't even a parking space, not even in their overflow parking. There are zoo staff everywhere directing people to turn around and get out of the parking lot. There was a very long line to even get in the place...that's when I realized that I wasn't so smart or on top of things after all. EVERYONE in Naples goes on the free day and the smart people pay the admission and go when there's actually a parking spot available. It was really like Disney World or something; there were even police inside the zoo on crowd patrol. We didn't give up; we parked at Fleischman Park and hiked our way to the zoo!



This is how Lexi begun the trip...I thought we were done for immediately.






Looking at the Hyenas...they were a little gross if you ask me. They looked like they had mange.

Kelly, Brennan, Lindsey, Lexi, and Devin.









Then came Devin's favorite...The Lion (insert Devin's ROAR noises he makes!)






Devin and his buddy, Brennan.








Lindsey and Devin looking at the Florida Bears together. She was such a great helper and it was so nice to spend time with her again. THANK YOU LINDSEY!!! (wait 'til you see the picture of her AFTER the day at the zoo with my kids!)






The kids were over heated, hungry and exhausted. So I folded and bought them lunches at the delicious Wynn's Market. This totally refueled them and they were ready to play again. The zoo has a really fun play area for kids; and like I said before, it was PACKED. So the kids had lots of 'friends' to play with.

Lexi striking a pose in the tunnel!






Lindsey and Lexi, so cute!

As the day went on, Lindsey got tired...and rightfully so.





At this point she was thinking she should have been charging me!!! LOL

And some cute random pics of Lexi...she had a few hat changes while we were there.







This morning I ran a 5K downtown and since Andy worked at 7 a.m. I had to bring the kids with me. So, thanks to Devin once again, I was up at 5:50 and we got dressed and packed fruit salad and water and then woke up Lexi and got her ready. We were in the car and on our way to the race at 6:30 this morning. I couldn't believe I was doing this for a thirty minute race. We met Grandma Diane who was so gracious to push them in the stroller and walk it while I ran it. It was H-O-T and sunny AND humid this morning. It felt like summer already...I ran it in 29 minutes and 9 seconds...although my watch said 7 seconds. :-) I'm happy with my time but like most people, you think to yourself that you could have or should have done better. I wanted my time to be under 30 minutes and it was. Therefore, I am HAPPY! There is another race at the end of the month...my goal is for under 29 minutes.

Today we are going to Grandma and Grandpa O'Dean's to go swimming and have a bbq. It'll be a nice a Sunday and a great way to end the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment